Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cleaning house

I haven't updated this blog in months. I could say that I haven't had time, but that would be a lie. I've had chances. I just haven't felt that I had anything I want to say. That's the problem with having nearly a dozen blogs. I run out of material.

I've updated Up To No Good plenty. That's my whining-things suck-snarky sort of blog. It's not terribly personal, except when I talk about my grief at my father's death. This blog was supposed to be the traditional, story-of-my-life sort of blog. The problem was that nothing was really happening in my life for a while. I was pregnant, unemployed, and bored. What was I supposed to write about? Playing video games? Feeding the birds in my backyard? My swollen feet?

But I've had a number of things happen lately and I feel like I need to write about them - or rather, the result of them.

I am cleaning house. Physically, mentally, digitally. I un-followed people on Twitter who aren't important to me. I went through my Facebook profile and deleted friend requests I was never going to approve, applications I no longer use, groups I don't care about, things I am a fan of that aren't important. I streamlined my profile. I changed my profile picture.

Box by box, book by book, I am cleaning up. Going through every single item I own. I intend to get rid of at least half of my belongings. I feel tied down by them. I have so many things I don't want, that I don't use, that I don't even remember that I have.

I think it's going to be terribly therapeutic. I've been watching HGTV a lot lately, and I want a pretty, simple home like the ones I've seen. And when a house is being staged or designed on HGTV, the first thing they do is clean out clutter. That will be me.

I am going to free myself of the physical, in the hopes that it will free me up mentally and emotionally and spiritually. I don't know how long it is going to take, but I'm not going to quit until I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment